Collecting your urine sample
Relax and follow these simple steps
You might find the following tips helpful:
- Read the printed instructions in your kit first - this has the most up-to-date information
- Give yourself enough time, so you’re relaxed.
- The best time to collect your sample is first thing in the morning - the very first pee you do, just after you've woken up
- Otherwise don’t pee for 1 to 2 hours before you give your sample.
Here's your step-by-step guide on how to collect your sample
Before you start
- Wash your hands
- Unpack your kit
Take your test
01. Collect your sample
Drinking a big glass of water before you start can be a real help.
- Wash and dry your hands before opening the sample kit.
- Put the collection pouch on a clean, flat surface near the toilet.
- Remove the cap from the sample tube and stand on a nearby surface
We've included a pouch to help you collect your sample. You'll find helpful instructions on the side of the pouch.
- When you’re ready, wee into the pouch. It’s important to catch the first pee that comes out as this gives the test the best chance of being accurate.
- Any extra wee can go into the toilet.
- Pour some of the wee from the pouch into the sample collection tube. The tube needs to be full to the fill line indicated on the side of the collection tube.
You're all done, get ready to return your samples to us.
02. Returning your samples
- Place the lid back on your sample collection tube
- Place sample collection tube into the transport pack.
- Pour any wee left in the collection pouch down the toilet and give the pouch a quick rinse out
- Dispose of the collection pouch in your household waste.
- Place your samples in the box with the completed return slip. Insert the two large tabs into the slots and seal with the security tape included in the kit.
- The box is free to return, so pop it in any postbox.
Last reviewed March 2022